Resources for Pets

Having to relocate and find temporary housing during a flood isn’t just difficult for families; pets can also suffer from stress when moving to a new environment.

Many local organizations in Midland County, Michigan or neighboring counties are working to make sure all pets affected in the region are also staying safe.

Below is a roundup of local services and tips for flood evacuees with pets.

Lost Pets

Emergency shelter or supplies

  • The Humane Society of Midland County is offering emergency shelter for pets that have been displaced by the flood, as well as pet supplies such as dog and cat food and cat litter. Anyone in need of shelter for their pet, should call 989-835-1877.
  • Broader Borders, a Gladwin-area dog day care facility, is also offering temporary shelter and 24/7 assistance for displaced pets.
  • Saginaw County Animal Care and Control is offering shelter to dogs, cats and small animals during the flood. Anyone who needs shelter for their pet due to flooding should give them a call, and animal control workers will accept animals by appointment at 1312 Gratiot Ave. in Saginaw.
  • The Ingham County Animal Control staff and volunteers will be delivering much needed supplies including food, cat litter, cages, and more to displaced pets in Midland County.
  • The Humane Society of Bay County is able to house cats safely and they are working to secure emergency dog fosters.

Pet-friendly accommodations

Those displaced by the floods may be eligible to file a lawsuit to get compensation for their losses. Take this quiz to see if you have a case.