Community Resources & Tips

In the aftermath of a devastating flood, you may not know where to turn for help. Just now that there is an entire community ready to assist you and your family.

Below is a list of community resources to help you in this time of disaster.

Reunite Family and Loved Ones

  • Let your family and close friends know you’re okay so they can help spread the word. Register with or search the American Red Cross’s Safe and Well listing.
  • Mark yourself safe and look for relatives using Facebook’s Safety Check.

Resources for Housing, Food, and Supplies


  • Shelters have been opened at the following locations:
  • Midland High School, located at 1301 Eastlawn Drive
  • Bullock Creek High School, located at 1420 S. Badour Road
  • Coleman Community High School, located at 4951 N. Lewis Road in Coleman, MI
  • The West and North Midland Family Centers, located at 4011 W. Isabella Road and 2601 E. Shearer Road, respectively
  • Swan Valley High School, located at 8380 Ohern Road in Saginaw, MI
  • Freeland High School, located at 8250 Webster Road in Freeland, MI
  • Hemlock High School, located at 733 N. Hemlock Road in Hemlock, MI
  • The Great Lakes Bay Regional Convention & Visitors Bureau put together a list of hotels in the area currently open to flood victims. The Bureau is also working to secure special flood relief emergency rates for these hotels. Flood victims should contact hotels directly for rates/availability.
  • The Farwell Labor Day Committee has opened the Farwell Fairgrounds in Clare County to any Flood victims needing shelter. A tent or camper is required, but the grounds have electricity, water, one shower and dump station on site.

Food and Supplies

  • The Michigan Department of Environmental Quality also has a fact sheet on how to protect your water supply in a flood emergency.
  • Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP) gives food assistance to low-income households with food loss or damage caused by a natural disaster and is available regardless of immigration status.
  • Nonprofit Footprints of Michigan is offering new and gently used shoes to adults and children impacted by the flood. Flood victims can request assistance on the Footprints website or calling 877-811-7463.

Resources for Financial Assistance

Resources for Health & Wellness

  • Community Mental Health for Central Michigan is offering a variety of services to the community via telephone and teletherapy options. If you feel you or someone you know would benefit from short-term therapy, contact the Access Department at 800-317-0708.

Utility Resources

  • Utility companies often have apps to update you on getting service back.
  • The U.S. Fire Administration has guidance on how to follow proper generator safety procedures.Carbon monoxide poisoning is one of the leading causes of death after storms when areas are dealing with power outages.
  • Contact yoru power company to make sure the electrical system has been turned off if you’re entering a flood damaged building. Also, have your power company or a qualified electrician fix wires.

Those displaced by the floods may be eligible to file a lawsuit to get compensation for their losses. Take this quiz to see if you have a case.